Thursday, February 2, 2012

Table of Contents and List Design

Now that the 2nd semester has begun, I'll be back for some new adventures and mishaps! (That sounded alot better in my head). The first project I'm working on this year is divided into 3 parts: A List of design tips, a table of contents spread (11 x 17) and a 2nd table of contents spread for a small book (12 x 9 approx.)



There was more room to play with in this multicoloured design, though in order to contain all of the text, AND keep the font size at 8pt bare minimum (after that it becomes too difficult to read) I had to mess with the spacing and column arrangements. It was difficult to keep the columns arranged by colour,but still possible as I adjusted the height and the width, slightly) of the columns.






This 2nd spread (divided into 2 pages, this will be fixed in later drafts) was limited by a set of rules that were not possible without sacrificing something else. Either the margins had to be broken, the text size had to be dropped lower than 10pt (the goal was to stay between 10 and 12pt, though going lower than this still resulted in a crowded layout) or divide the layout into 2 pages.




The last problem to tackle is the design tips page. My current design idea has already been heavily modified to fit all of the text, and the result right now is still far too crowded. I hope to be able to fix this by next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment