Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Assignment #1: Classic Film Poster Design (Presentable Concepts)

As a follow up to my rough sketches, I've created three presentable roughs in Adobe Photoshop. My initial design goal was to incorporate more 'comedy' into the poster, while using minimal illustration. I hadn't realized how limited I'd be by my own skill level in this endeavor. Many times I thought I'd have been better off designing a movie poster with a shorter title (When drawing out ideas on paper, I kept running out of space before running out of letters).





My first concept didn't translate well digitally, it ended up looking more like a 1950's novel cover. I still like using the negative space but it still seems more 'obvious' than the original version.



 This was based on one of my original concepts, but with a few tweaks. I tested a few different fonts within Photoshop but they all looked pretty gross. In the initial sketch, I was hoping to fan the text out slightly, but when I applied that in Photoshop I couldn't achieve the same result.  It just looked terrible...




This version was an improvement on the one shown above. It's not as busy, and looks closer to the layout of the preliminary sketch even without the 'fan' effect.



This one I had to scrap because tilting each letter 'perfectly' took too long. I thought of using a font called 'Designers' which I have installed on my home PC, but I couldn't find it online again for the license.

No comments:

Post a Comment