Sunday, October 3, 2010

Niki's Illustrations #1

Crazy thought, but I think at some point we'll all have to work with exceedingly large Photoshop files (that's assuming some of you haven't already). The largest I can generate working on simple lineart like this would be about 50Mb. But that's only AFTER I've started laying out the base colors, shadows, and highlights.


That still pails in comparison to the one a classmate of mine generated in high school. Or so he claims... you tell me if you'd believe it (or would think there's some problem with Photoshop) if the estimated filesize sits at 1 Terabyte. Ironically, 1Tb was the allotted space provided for the entire network.

So today, I've prepared a piece of lineart that I'll be working on in Photoshop as I find the time (and the motivation, maybe if I finish it'll go on my website). Sketched today while I was at bingo. Explanation: My Mom is involved with the York-South chapter of the MS Society, which sells the cards every Sunday. Easy 40 community service hours in high school, and I still enjoy working there anyway.

So this is how it works when I prepare these kinds of doodles. First I sketch it out with a 0.5 mechanical pencil, then I ink it with either a Stadtler or a Sakura Micron Pigma (both 0.05 thickness, the absolute minimum you can buy I believe) and erase the pencil guides. When I get home to my scanner, or gain access to one, I always scan at 600 resolution (for serious projects, other times I'll go as low as 200/300)

These are fun to color actually, setting the lines on their own layer (Multiply), and tweaking the levels makes the image crisp and helps get rid of some of the leftover pencil lines. Every layer underneath is then dedicated into coloring, shading, and highlighting. When starting out, it's easier to use a new layer for each new color, and divide them into groups until the base is complete. Then they can be merged together. I tried that today, and my file dropped from 50Mb to around 25Mb on the next save.

Next time I'll post the base-colored version, so until then.... Oh, and by the way... this 'preview' is only about 25% the canvass size of the original file. i kind of laugh because last time I made an image that big it was actually too big for my Desktop unless it was set to 'stretch'.

No comments:

Post a Comment